30 January 2012 Previous

Backpack Sprint

I looked over Pablo's shoulder.  His energetic foot tapping had grabbed my attention and I wanted to see what he was up to.  He was always listening to music through his headphones, bringing out his inner drummer by rapidly tapping his feet.

He had been modelling the backpack for the Durian backpack sprint and was wrapping it up to present it online.

"Hey, that's cool", I said - which is often stated sitting next to Pablo, "are you going to texture it too?"
"Naa, too much time" he replied.
"Can't I do it for you?"

And Jablito's backpack was born.

Download the blend files from Blendswap here

Pablo had handed me the finished model.  It was clean, lo-res (a style he was really good at) and beautiful.  I had picked a saturday afternoon and gone to the Nerd-o-drome at Hampshire to texture it.  After dismally finding the college cafeteria closed for the day, I settled down at the computer with a bag of raisin bagels and began to work.

Texturing

The process began by organising the scene.  As it had just changed hands, and was going to change hands again when 'handed' over, I decided to rename the objects to make things understandable.  This would also help when exporting the UV layouts because the files would automatically get given a logical name.

As usual I then went into UV unwrapping.  Strategically marking seams in hidden spots and unwrapping the objects piece by piece while applying the default UV grid to compare proportions.  This isn't necessarily my favorite process, so I save frequently in event of a crash - which didn't really happen.  The submission had to be no more than 5mb in total.  It involved a number of separate objects, some large -like the backpack- some medium -like the quilt and blanket- and others small -like the clips, straps and ropes.  I decided therefore to share all the UV layouts between just two 2k images to reduce file size:

  1. Main backpack and its Accessories
  2. Quilt and its Accessories

I knew that I wanted to use the -at that time- new texturing feature between Blender and GIMP, which allowed you to take a capture of the 3D view port and bring it into GIMP for painting, then upon saving the textures would be projected back over the UV map.  This proved to be fantastic.  Just remember -if you do it multiple times- to save the UV image from Blender on each pass.

I have a pair of hiking boots which i've been using for nearly the last 10 years.  They're old and worn to the point where the sole of the boot is paper thin, but I love and use them often.  So this was the type of leather I wanted to mimic on the main backpack, some type of weathered and durable hide for Sintel's long journey.

hiking_boots_01  hiking_boots_02

I gathered up some google images -with a license filter of course- and brought those into gimp to clone areas which might work well -to make them broader.  I then selected an object, placed the 3d effectively, exported to GIMP, added the google images as layers and began clone stamping and manipulating.  I kept separate layers for the colour of the leather, dirt and scratches.  The scratches were mostly lighter in value than the leather's colour while the creases were darker in value, some scratchy brushes were used to paint these in.  Attention was paid as to where these occur -as seen from the hiking boots above- and were strategically placed for the backpack.

As there were multiple images used, they didn't all have the same colour values.  As a final pass I did a hue/saturation and colour balance on necessary areas of the texture maps.  This synchronised the parts and actually made them look like they had all been adventuring in the same places.

Pablo and I developed the nickname 'Jablo' or 'Jablito' from the time we went missing in Boston and were being called after.  Between ourselves we aptly named the it 'Jablo's backpack'.

texture_backpack texture_quilt


Next
blog comments powered by Disqus